Orang Utan Island Foundation Charter
The Board of Trustees of the Orang Utan Island Foundation and the Panel of Advisors, have resolved that, we have an obligation to our stakeholders – visitors, researchers, the scientific community, the local community, staff and future generations – to carry out our objectives in a way that advances sustainability and mitigates adverse environmental impact.
Our commitment in compliance with Malaysian laws and requirements is to improve our management of Orang Utan Island especially in ex-situ orangutan conservation, which is integral to our making a contribution to society and future generations.
Towards this end, we intend to:
give due attention to all aspects of the initial concerns and wishes raised collectively by the Panel of Advisors in relation to the orangutans, especially in respect to the ex-situ conservation of orangutans on Orang Utan Island, and
establish conditions and promote good practices to meet the obligations as expressed in the wish list and the list of concerns for the ex-situ conservation of the orangutans, which is not detrimental to the surroundings and the environment.
To achieve these ends, we agree to:
bring together our various skills, knowledge, experience and expertise towards:
- developing best practices
- enhancing the research and development capacity of Orang Utan Island
- improving primate husbandry
- documenting all aspects of Orang Utan Island programmes
- creating awareness by the dissemination of information on all aspects of the orangutan to the general public, especially the younger generation
- engaging the State of Perak and the Federal Authorities to include Orang Utan Island as a premier destination on ex-situ conservation of the orangutan
- adopting principles of good corporate governance and social responsibility in all aspects of current and future development of Orang Utan Island
The objectives of the Charter are:
- To uphold the practice of ex-situ conservation of the orangutan and of sustainable development, and to that end, to take effective measures for the prevention and the removal of threats to the ecological well-being of the orangutan.
- To develop cooperation and meaningful constructive engagement with relevant State and Federal Authorities and NGOs with regards to ex-situ conservation of the orangutan.
- To establish Orang Utan Island as the referral centre for research on the ex-situ conservation of the orangutan.
- To secure financial support from corporate entities and other funding agencies, both domestic and international, for continuous research and development for the conservation of the orangutan.
- To promote cooperation amongst stakeholders, both domestic and international, whilst earning and maintaining universal respect for the Orang Utan Island conservation programme.